Silicon Nitride Ceramics for Machine Parts
Toshiba Materials' silicon nitride is lightweight and has excellent wear resistance and corrosion resistance properties. From these characteristics, it is used in automotive and industrial machine parts applications. Toshiba Materials manufactures and sells Silicon Nitride Ceramics parts such as ball blanks(for bearings).
In bearing applications, silicon nitride is contributing to weight reduction and performance improvement of various applications, and leading to replacement of steel balls. Our material is widely used as standard material in the market and also designated as certified material for aircraft engine application by various companies. It was also used in the bearing of turbo molecular pumps of the Space Shuttle, which was launched from 1995.
In addition, there are track records for use in rollers for diesel pumps that require wear and seize resistance, and check balls for diesel engine fuel injection ports that require wear resistance and high rigidity. From excellent heat resistance and heat shock resistance properties, and resistance to wetting with molten metal, it can also be used for various jigs such as center valves, contact collets, and masks for semiconductor manufacturing equipment.
- Low density (less than half the weight of a steel ball of the same size)
- High heat resistance
- Resistant to electrolytic corrosion as it is an insulator
- Resistant to corrosion and rust caused by acids and alkalis
- Not easily affected in a strong magnetic field as it is a non-magnetic material
Application example of finished product after polishing
- Bearings for wind power generators
- Machine tools
- Aircraft engines
- Medical drills and other medical equipment
- Motors for electric vehicles, hybrid vehicles, etc.
- Turbo molecular pump
- Fan motor
- Check ball for fuel injection system for diesel engine
- Roller for diesel pump
- Various jigs for semiconductor manufacturing equipment (center valve, contact collet, mask, etc.)